Monday, May 4, 2020

Just Sitting on a Rock....

Today's inspiration comes from Luke 5:16 "Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."

Have you ever just needed to go and sit alone somewhere to think?   To calm yourself down? To pray?  Well, how about a rock?

When I was growing up in Columbus, OH, there as a beautiful park named the Park of Roses.  I spent hours there!!!  Walking through many acres of green grass, walking through the woods, playing tennis, climbing on the playground jungle gyms and swings, wading through the creek, and stepping gingerly across a drain pipe over the creek to reach the part of the park where all the exquisite roses were blooming!  

Once, when coming up the bank from the creek in a new place, I found a large rock that had a poem on it at the entrance of the Rose Garden.  It read:
"The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for myrth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden,
Then anywhere else on earth."
(Poem by Dorothy Frances Gurney)

The poem was put there by a lovely lady that I did not know.  But, I found out who she was and why she had placed the plaque there - in honor of her late husband.  I loved this poem the first time I read it!!!  And, I came to know Anna Brial for just a short while before she passed away.  And interestingly enough, Anna ended up coming to my wedding which took place in the Park of Roses in 1980.  All because of a rock!

I sat on it sometimes for hours........thinking, reasoning things out, talking with God.  Away from all the hustle and bustle of life.  Just sitting on a rock, contemplating life!

I wonder if Jesus did the same sometimes.....I know He prayed a lot in places where no one else was, and many times in a garden.  But, did He just sit and contemplate life there too?  I tend to think so.

Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank you for being my Rock!  And, thank you for withdrawing away from the crowds and the hustle and bustle of life to be with Your Father.  I am grateful for your example.  Thank you for holding me.  
Every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment