Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sonrisas in Mexico...

As many of you know, I always end my emails, texts, etc. with "Smiles" which is "Sonrisas" in Spanish.  Thanks to my friend, Rosa Elida, who taught me the word in Spanish for smiles, I will now sign my emails, Sonrisas.  I started saying "smiles" several years ago.  I know it is annoying to some people, but I also have had many people who tell me how much that helps them remember to smile and be grateful for each day, so I have continued to sign my correspondence that way.  Tonight I am smiling galore because I had the privilege of helping to be a part of God's incredible plan to share His love all over the globe!!!
Here's the story so far.........

We just got back from a Mission Trip to Mexico with our church (Crossroads Christian Church) after driving to Abilene, TX on Saturday.  We spent the night and then drove to Del Rio, TX on Sunday night. (We drove approximately 1,000 miles one way to get there from Kansas.)  We crossed the border into Mexico on Monday morning.  There, we met up with our representative for the mission trip and learned about our project for the week.  We built a house for a family in Acuna, Mexico.  Yes, an entire house! Granted, it was only 11' x 22', but to this family, it was a grand mansion!!! Our church joined up with another church just outside Wichita called Valley Center Christian Church, so there were a total of 17 people working side by side this week, including our wonderful Casas por Cristo missionary, Nik Wille.  Nik may only be in his 20's, but his impact on our group was profound!!!  (Watch for pictures on Facebook in the next couple of weeks as we share our trip through photographs of the workers and the family!)

As part of our devotions one evening, we learned why Nik's work is so important to him.
Nik's story began in Korea where he was born and then, dumped on the street because he had a cleft pallet.  His mom could not afford to take care of him, so she left him on the street. In Korea, a child like this is usually left to die unattended.  But, a police man found him and took him to the hospital.  Three years after being in an orphanage in Korea, an American family from St. Louis adopted him.  God had a plan all along to use this "disability" for good! Nik has had many surgeries to correct his pallet since he was a child.  At first when I met Nik, I could not even tell he had had one!  But, after hearing his testimony as to how he got to the USA and how God has orchestrated his entire life for good through this disability, I believe that his cleft pallet has had an incredible impact on many people!!!  

And, this young man is now helping families in Mexico with an organization called "Casas Por Cristo" which means "Houses for Christ."  This is an awesome organization and the witness for Christ's love is powerful to the people of Mexico, Guatemala and soon, the Dominican Republic.  I don't know all the statistics, but they have built many, many houses for families who would never live in a house built like the homes we are so privileged to have in the USA.  
Can you imagine living in a dwelling that is eleven feet by twenty two feet?  Two rooms - that's it!  That is what the Martinez family had when we got there this week.  No separate bedrooms for their three children.  The kitchen WAS their bedroom!  Now, thanks to Casas Por Cristo, they have four rooms!!!  The look on the mom and dad's faces when we finished was one of the most beautiful memories I will ever hold in my heart.  We worked hard for 2 and 1/2 days and completed the project for them.  Electricity and all!  Two rooms, two doors, two windows, and two ceiling fans.  Their oldest son, Brayant is 12 years old gets his OWN bedroom now for the very first time!  Their two darling daughters, Evelyn, 8 years old and Betsi, 4 years old will have their own bedroom now as well.  The "Sonrisas" on their faces were priceless....

The impact on my life and heart is forever changed.  Smiles and sonrisas will forever reign in my mind as I remember the look on the family's faces as we gave them the keys to their new house, nailed a Casas Por Cristo sign on the outside of the house, and gave them a Spanish Bible.  The foundation of this house is built on the Rock of Jesus Christ and that love will go on into Eternity.  Sonrisas galore.....

No comments:

Post a Comment