Thursday, July 31, 2014

Trusting God...

And so, Part 3 begins......this is new ground for me, so please bear with me and forgive me if I stir up thoughts and/or emotions that might make you re-consider your views of this subject in a new way.

We started with the word Trust....then moved to Trusting Ourselves....and now, let's explore what it means to Trust God.  Yes, God.  The Creator of the Universe.  As some people say, a Higher Power.

First, do we believe God exists?  And, if so, what do we believe about God?  Do we believe He loves us, cares for us, guides us, heals us, and brings us joy?  Or, do we believe God is evasive, illusive, unforgiving, and difficult to talk to?  How about a Divine Genie who grants wishes?  Whatever your belief, consider expanding your horizon and looking at God from a new perspective.

Think on these words:  Omnipotent....a God who has unlimited power and authority.  Omnipresent... a God who is present everywhere....Omniscient...a God who has total knowledge.
Would you want to have a God like this on your side or prefer to ignore the evidence of this awesome Higher Power?

And, consider these definitions, too:  Awesome....inspiring awe - an emotion of mingled reverence, dread, and wonder.  Ask yourself:  do you feel awe for God or dread?  If it is dread, I hope you will open up your heart to find a very loving, caring, giving God.  One that you can feel awe for and revere.  Open your heart to find the wonder of His existence and Majesty.
Next, consider Divine....heavenly, magnificent, or supremely good.  Would this be your definition of God? 
If not, go outside tomorrow and listen to the birds as the morning begins......watch a sunset........put your toes in the sand and watch the ocean....smell the fragrance of a meadow of wildflowers or a rose.
And, finally, years ago, I came upon this definition from a 12 Step program:  God as we understand Him.  A loving God.  A caring God.  The God of our recovery.  I like that definition.  And yet, as my faith has developed and grown, I have found there is a much higher calling for who God truly is.  And, I have found that so many people I meet need to explore news ways of thinking about God and/or finding God, perhaps for the very first time.

What image does the word "God" bring up for you?  Have you ever really explored your ideas of who God is and why?  Has your faith grown dramatically over the years, or have you been on cruise control most of your life? 

Interestingly enough, trusting God or learning to trust God may be a very provocative journey for some of us based on our family of origin and life's experiences.  I feel I have been very "lucky" and blessed to have been given a heritage of faith.  My mom and my grandparents had an extremely deep faith in God and passed those beliefs on to me.  I am truly grateful for that beginning, but I must admit, my faith has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years as I have explored a God whom I understand.

Trusting God has become my number one goal.  As I study His Word, the Bible each day, I find that trusting God is a key element to my faith growing and developing.  He asks us to Trust Him in every detail of our lives. Trust Him and don't be afraid.  Trust Him moment by moment. Trust Him in all our thoughts.  Trust Him in the depths of our being.  Trust Him with our decisions.  Trust Him with our finances.  Trust Him with our children and/or families.  Trust Him with our jobs.  Trust Him with our relationships.  Trust Him, lean on Him, depend on Him, come to Him, and allow Him to enter our hearts. 

Somewhere out there, there is an old adage that says:  "God helps those who help themselves."  Do you
believe that?  My mom did!!!  As most of you know, I loved my mom dearly.  She was one of the most loving, giving and self-sacrificing mother that ever lived on the face of this earth.  She was also one of the most self-sufficient and self-reliant people I know!!!  Fiercely independent, too!  Ask yourself:  do you try to do everything in your own strength and power?  Are you self-sufficient and/or self-reliant?  Independent?  Do you rely completely on yourself - so much so that you won't allow anyone to help you?
Well, guess what???  That old adage is Greek Mythology.  It come from Hercules!!!  Yep!  A myth, not a fact or a admonishment from the Lord.  There is not ONE verse in the Bible that says:  "Do it all yourself!"  Instead, we find that God asks us to trust Him with all of our lives......not some, not part, not most, but ALL of our lives.....would you consider laying down your self-sufficiency for a little TRUST???

What is really interesting, is that I have fought the fight of self-sufficiency myself for a long, long time.  Some battles I have won.  Some I have not.  I have displayed self-sufficiency to the nth degree in some ways and I am not saying that to boast.  I am saying it because of the God as I understand Him, and the God that I am learning to trust.  I am learning to rely on the God of the Universe who created me and wants me to learn His ways, His paths, His thoughts, and find His strength in every task.

One great verse in the Old Testament of the Bible is Proverbs 3: 5-6.  It says:
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  Look to Him in all your ways and He will make your paths straight." 

Acknowledge Him. Revere Him.  Get to know Him by studying His Word.  Trust Him with all of your heart.  It will be worth it.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment